[Vision2020] Idaho total solar eclipse August 21 info

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 15:44:15 PDT 2017

This might be a spectacular eclipse experience, especially given the about
12,000 foot elevation could lessen atmospheric obscuring of the view.
Also, the hike up Borah Mt. could hopefully limit the annoying crowds that
are likely at more lazily accessible viewing locations.  Or maybe Borah Mt.
will also be crowded?  At least the top won't be full of tailgaters and
their global warming inducing air polluting disaster machines!  A person
could pretend for a day we are actually waking up as a species and
abandoning fossil fuels...
---------------------------------------
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett

https://www.meetup.com/Missoula-Adventure-Crew/events/239982733/

Climb Borah Peak in Idaho/Solar Eclipse Viewing

On August 21 there will be a total solar eclipse viewable from central
Idaho and it just so happens that the tallest peak in Idaho (12,667') is
almost perfectly located for optimal viewing!

The current plan is to meet in the Kolh's parking lot (along Dore Ln)
between 1:00 and 1:30pm on Sunday the 20th, then carpool and camp near the
trail head so that we can get an early start Monday morning. The eclipse
begins at 10:13am, peaks/becomes total at around 11:30 (for more than two
minutes!), and ends around 12:54. I'd like to be at the summit for the
total eclipse, so setting out around 7am I think should get us there. Given
the size of the group, we will most likely break into smaller contingents
depending on hiking speed. I'm guessing that we will be back in Missoula
sometime Monday evening.

I REALLY doubt that we are the only ones with this idea, so I imagine that
the small campground at the trail head (and at nearby Mackay Reservoir)
will be full. Luckily there is a large amount of national forest land
surrounding Borah that is open to dispersed camping, so please plan on
primitive camping conditions.

>From what I have been able to find, this will NOT be an easy trek! The
trail is relatively short (the consensus is around 4 to 4.5 miles), but
quite steep. The elevation gain is around 5,200 feet with a large amount of
scrambling on exposed rock in potentially windy and hot weather. If you are
considering this climb, please make sure that you are in good physical
condition and are not afraid of heights! This link should give you an idea
about what we will be doing:
http://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/?page_id=8905

No climbing equipment is required, but I understand that trekking poles and
good hiking boots (or shoes with rock plates) are useful, as will be lots
of sunblock, and ECLIPSE GLASSES! Please get eclipse glasses now, as
sunglasses are absolutely NOT suitable for viewing an eclipse! I can not
recommend any brand or source of glasses, but I ordered mine from
http://www.eclipse2017.org

I will bring a medium size cooler and two-burner stove, but given the
number of people signed up, more coolers are probably necessary. Please
bring the usual camping items/food. To my knowledge, there is NO water
available at the Borah campground/trail head, so bring lots! I'm guessing
the hike alone will require around three liters, but you'll have to rely on
personal experience to estimate your own requirements.

As far as carpooling goes, I can take two, maybe three people in my car
depending on the amount of camping equipment being brought. Anyone who is
willing to drive should keep in mind that the drive is 4.5 hours each way.
I would also advise that some effort be made in advance to organize
carpooling partners so that we can ensure that everyone has a ride.

As a side note, Mackay Reservoir is about 20 minutes away from Borah if
anyone wants to go swimming or just hang out near the water.

As always (because AJ insists) the usual MAC disclaimer applies. This
outing (and pretty much everything I organize) is inherently risky, and as
such, each individual is solely responsible for their own safety and must
make their own decisions, informed or otherwise, as to just how much risk
they are willing to accept in the pursuit of frivolous activities (or sweet
photos!).