[Vision2020] Moscow Middle School cleared by bomb threat

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Feb 17 03:58:47 PST 2016

Courtesy of today's (February 17, 2016) Lewiston Tribune.

---------------------------------
Moscow Middle School cleared by bomb threat
A note claiming a bomb was in a locker canceled classes Tuesday at Moscow Middle School, though police quickly determined the threat was a hoax.
Moscow Police Chief David Duke said a 14-year-old male student brought the threatening note to the school office about 10:45 a.m., saying he found it in a bathroom. The same student later indicated to investigating police officers that he had written the note himself, Duke said.
Classes at the school are scheduled to resume today as usual.
Students and staff members were evacuated to designated "safe zones" at adjacent football and baseball fields shortly before 11 a.m. Tuesday, Duke said.
District administrators then made the decision to move students to the high school, where parents could pick them up, Superintendent Greg Bailey said.
The parents of the student suspected of writing the note were contacted, Duke said, and the student was turned over to them.
The police department will forward its report to Latah County Youth Services. Whether the student is charged with a crime will be up to youth services and the Latah County prosecutor.
Bailey said the district usually waits until a police investigation is complete in such instances before determining school consequences for the student.
"We would look at our discipline policies in place and consider the safety issue," Bailey said. "It can lead to anything from suspension (to) expulsion."
Canceling school isn't taken lightly, Bailey said, but buses already were moving by the time law enforcement officers determined there was no danger Tuesday.
"I feel like staff did their jobs, and we did everything we could to assure the safety of our students," he said.
Bailey said he doesn't think the school will have to make up the missed day, but that decision will be up to the school board. A snow day is built into the district's schedule, and the state has a policy for emergency closures.
Before Tuesday, the last bomb threat in the district was in December 2014, when a penciled message was found in a boys' bathroom at Moscow High School. The perpetrator of that threat was never caught. The most recent bomb threat in Moscow schools before that was in 2009.

http://www.MoscowCares.com

Tom Hansen
Moscow, Idaho