[Vision2020] Book list

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Tue Dec 23 22:22:51 PST 2014

On 12/23/2014 5:36 PM, Rosemary Huskey wrote:

>   I admire Neil deGrasse Tyson enormously so I was interested in his
>   reading list.  I don’t agree with all of his choices, and although I
>   find his one-liners funny I don’t necessarily agree with some of
>   them either.  I am curious what V2020 members would recommend as the
>   five books every intelligent person should read.

{[ Luke! Luke! Don't! It's a trap! It's a trap! -- Princess Leia Organa,
Star Wars V, The Empire Strikes Back, 1980 ]}

As the Princess correctly suggests, questions of this combination of
specificity applied to such a wide range of recipients are traps for the
unwary.  The problems with it are multifaceted.  "Every intelligent
person" suggests a large number of people, from many cultures, speaking
many languages.  Not only are not all books available in all languages,
but it may be the case that not all of the selected books are available
in all languages.  Beyond language abilities, different people likely
are differently receptive.  Some people don't do various kinds of, or
perhaps any kind of, logic. Other people are emotionally challenged, and
may not be able to understand, interpret or respond to moral and ethical
discussions, even if they are aware of the norms of their local culture.
Different cultures in different geographic areas suggests the same book
recommendations may not be optimal.

Another reason the question is a trap is that recommending specific
books fixes the content of the books to the past, and, depending on the
selection, perhaps the distant past, while the needs of the readers are
for the present and the future.  Even classics of the past can be, and
often have been, updated yielding more satisfactory effects than would
their predecessors.  A modern comprehensive geometry book may well teach
the subject better today than Euclid's venerable Elements.  A more
up-to-date handful of books likely would serve contemporary readers
better than Darwin's Origin of Species would do for the same range of
subject matter.  And so on, through the various subjects.  Newer books
are quite likely going to be better books.

Because of the variability of the readers' characteristics, some
flexibility in the recommendations is appropriate.  Rather than specific
titles, several subject matter areas will be suggested, each of which
may require more than one title to cover not only a suggested range of
content, but also prerequisites necessary for its comprehension.  For
example, recommending a text covering partial differential equations of
the type found in many science books might well require reading and
mastering several prerequisite math books. Suggesting a contemporary
volume of ethics readings might entail reading a variety of historical
precedent setters by way of comparison and contrast.  Etc, etc.

In terms of ranges of subject matter, I am inclined to suggest slight
generalizations of up-to-date secondary school graduation requirements.
The reader's native language and rhetoric, including grammar and
literature, natural science including physics, chemistry and biology,
mathematics of various descriptions, social sciences including
psychology, anthropology, and history, and music theory and performance
instruction for piano and another instrument of choice (guitar if none
other chosen).  Mastery of at least one foreign language chosen via
Arguellesian suggestion if the reader is not otherwise well-motivated to
learn another language would yield suggestions of Spanish, French,
Italian, and German, in that order, for native English speakers in
English-speaking cultures, and other language lists in other cultures.
Not included in most high school curricula, but included here, are
readings in the history of philosophy, moral and ethical theory,
political science, and economics, with at least some attention to
contemporary writings focused on actual activities and events in these
areas of concern.

Ken