[Vision2020] Blackball unresponsive politicians

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Tue Apr 15 02:51:43 PDT 2014

Courtesy of today's (April 15, 2014) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Marilyn Beckett.

-----------------------------------

Letter: Blackball unresponsive politicians
Two months ago dozens of letters were received by Idaho Sens. Jim Risch and Mike Crapo, and Rep. Raul Labrador in regard to the Lochsa Land Exchange. With a handshake, I handed Crapo my letter in person, sending a follow-up letter a few days later. While some letter writers have received at least a formulaic response from Crapo, I haven't. My letters, while respectful, are pointed and contain questions requiring specific answers, like: Why does Idaho's congressional delegation think it important to acquire Western Pacific Timber's cut-over parcels? Who takes part in meetings where the exchange is discussed? Who are the "stakeholders" favoring a land exchange? What areas of our National Forest are being appraised?
Five years ago many people wrote to Risch and company worried about the U.S. Forest Service's proposal to exchange valuable public land for WPT's checkerboard-like sections in the Upper Lochsa region. At that time, we were told to trust the National Environmental Policy Act process.
Years later, just before the final administrative decision, the entire delegation intervened by halting the NEPA procedure. However they did so to negotiate the exchange, not stop it. Why suddenly disregard the process to which they previously deferred? Merely three months after this bold move, they put WPT in the driver's seat with the USFS in the back of the hearse.
The public's land law is being black-balled. Prime example is the Lochsa Exchange.
Contact Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., chairwoman of the U.S. Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources.
Marilyn Beckett, Moscow

-----------------------------------

Sen. Mary Landrieu's contact page
http://www.landrieu.senate.gov/?p=contact

Sen . Mary Landrieu's Washington, DC mailing address:

703 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com