[Vision2020] Seven States Slash School Spending

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Tue Sep 24 11:03:09 PDT 2013

Seven States Slash School Spending

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/09/24/seven-states-slashing-school-spending/

Since the recession began, K-12 education spending has declined
dramatically in some states. In Alabama and Oklahoma, per-pupil spending
fell by more than 20%.

While the majority of state school systems have cut spending between
fiscal year 2008 and the upcoming fiscal year 2014, the cuts have been
much more severe in some places than in others. According to the latest
school spending data compiled by the Center on Budget and Policy
Priorities (CBPP), seven states have cut per-pupil spending by more than
15% in that time.

"The decline in state revenues was unlike anything that we've seen in
decades," explained Michael Leachman, CBPP director of state fiscal
policy. "The budget problems that resulted from this past recession were
really historic." That, he continued, resulted in states being faced
with a difficult choice for their school systems --- to raise revenue
through taxes during an economic downturn or cut school funding. The
majority of states opted at least in part for education cuts.

Of the seven states with at least a 15% decline in school funding
between fiscal 2008 and fiscal 2014, five actually further limited their
revenue by cutting income taxes.

Schools rely on three main sources for their funds: local/municipal,
state and federal. Nationally, states account for roughly 44% of total
education funding.

The decline in funding came at a particularly bad time for many school
systems, explained Leachman. While the federal government initially
provided emergency funds to schools through the Recovery and
Reinvestment Act of 2009, those funds are now gone, and Washington has
initiated cuts of its own. At the same time, local funding took a hit
when property values declined during the recession. The decline in both
federal and local funding, explained Leachman, is "why the state aid
cuts really bite. They're putting schools between a rock and a hard place."

Many of the states that are cutting funding are arguably the ones that
can least afford it in the long term. Based on Education Week's most
recent assessment of schools, five of the seven states with the largest
declines in education funding scored a D+ or worse in their K-12
achievement, as measured by standardized test scores.

These states also have among the lowest levels of educational
attainment. Five of the seven states had below-average rates of adults
with high school diplomas. Only one was above the national rate of
adults with college degrees.

"It is very troubling that so many states have cut their school spending
by so much," noted Leachman. "We're in a 21st-century economy where we
know education is increasingly important. For the jobs of the future,
more and more are going to require a higher level of education. You're
putting yourself at a disadvantage if you're not producing a workforce
that has that level of education," he added.

Based on the CBPP report, "Most States Funding Schools Less Than Before
the Recession," 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the seven states with at least
15% declines in state education grant money between fiscal year 2008 and
fiscal year 2014. In addition to CBPP data on school budgets, we
reviewed 2012 educational attainment and income data from the U.S.
Census Bureau's American Community Survey. We also looked at educational
achievement and National Association of Education Progress (NAEP) test
scores, as compiled by Education Week in its 2013 "Quality Counts" report.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/09/24/seven-states-slashing-school-spending/2/

*5. Idaho*
 > Pct. chg. per pupil spending (FY'08-FY'14): -16%
 > FY '14 per-pupil spending: $4,906 (24th most)
 > Decline in per-pupil spending (FY'08-FY'14): $930 (4th biggest decline)
 > Adults with bachelor's degree: 25.5% (14th lowest)

Idaho's fiscal 2014 budget calls for spending nearly $1,000 less per
student, compared to what they state spent before the recession. More
than half of the spending cut occurred between 2011 and 2012, when
spending per pupil dropped by $574. In 2012, just over a quarter of
Idaho residents 25 and older had a bachelor's degree, compared to nearly
30% in the nation as a whole. The Superintendent of Public Instruction,
Tom Luna, would prefer Idaho be rated by its test scores, which were
better than many of the states with such severe cuts in spending. In
2011, fourth and eighth graders performed close to or above the national
average in mathematics and reading, based on NAEP test scores.

Ken