[Vision2020] Emissions from Butch

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 5 13:13:35 PDT 2013

Just received a message from our "esteamed" Governor:

Western Governors' Association

I spent a very productive couple of days in Park City, Utah at the Western Governors' Association meeting at the end of June. Quite a bit of that time was spent explaining to federal officials the importance of collaboration. I explained - more than once - that the federal government often enacts laws and regulations without considering the unintended consequences. I also argued that the federal government seems pre-occupied with reducing green-house gas emissions, but is unwilling or unable to do anything about trying to limit the biggest source of that pollution - wildfires on our public lands. I can say many of the federal government officials in attendance at least listened to our concerns. So what will actually come of our conversations? Stay tuned.

Biggest source? Should have checked with the EPA (I know, facts have a liberal bias, particularly when coming from scientists):

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/sources.html

In the United States overall, since 1990 land use, land-use change, and forestry activities have resulted in more removal of CO2 from the atmosphere than emissions. Because of this, the Land Use, Land-Use Change, and Forestry (LULUCF) sector in the United States is considered a net sink, rather than a source, of CO2 over this period. In many areas of the world, the opposite is true: In countries where large areas of forest land are cleared, often for agricultural purposes or for settlements, the LULUCF sector can be a net source of greenhouse gas emissions.

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA