[Vision2020] A 2nd amendment argument against the NRA plan

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 17:52:17 PST 2012

Thanks, Gary. This is a nice article. Two comments, since I haven't
finished the article and this is out of my area of expertise.

1/ Mass shootings seem to be on the rise, maybe even since Aurora. Maybe
that is a false perception on my part but the comparative number of mass
shootings here as opposed to those in other countries is noticeable.

2/ I don't see the collection of semiautomatics as an issue. As folks note,
MOST who own semiautomatics are law abiding; more likely than not they know
how to handle guns, have gun safes, etc. It would be unwise to demand that
people turn in guns and some kind of buy-back program would need to be
implemented. The best you can do perhaps is a/ encourage folks to turn-in
their automatic weapons, and b/ confiscate weapons discovered during
criminal investigations. And we'd have to do some economic studies to see
whether the buy-back would be cost effective. Many communities have
buy-back programs, so my guess is that they are cost effective but I don't
know.

There was a NYT article about reducing crime in NYC. The key insight --
according to the article -- was that most crimes are crimes of opportunity.
If you eliminate the "low-hanging fruit" most crimes are eliminated. We
should find a policy with a limited impact on law-abiding citizens who are
careful with their firearms yet make crimes of opportunity more difficult.

3/ Obviously, as you've noted before, education is going to play a big role
here, too. We need to let folks know that guns should be protected, educate
people about the importance of gun safes, etc.