[Vision2020] Simi Valley's Sarah Baxter repeats as Nike Cross Nationals champion in Portland, Ore.

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 15:03:24 PST 2012

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_22103630/cross-country-simi-valleys-sarah-baxter-repeats-nike
CROSS COUNTRY: Simi Valley's Sarah Baxter repeats as Nike Cross Nationals
championJunior standout becomes fourth female prep runner to capture
back-to-back national titles
By Erik Boal, Staff Writer<erik.boal at dailynews.com?subject=LA%20Daily%20News:>

Simi Valley junior Sarah Baxter capped one of the most impressive cross
country seasons ever produced by a prep runner Saturday, repeating as Nike
Cross Nationals champion at Portland Meadows in Oregon.

Baxter, who covered the muddy 5-kilometer course in 19 minutes, 16.79
seconds, became the first runner to secure back-to-back NXN individual
titles and just the fourth female prep standout to repeat as champion, the
other three coming from the Kinney/Foot Locker National Championships. Erin
Sullivan from Mount Mansfield Union in Vermont was the last girls'
back-to-back national winner in 1997-98.

"I knew the people in the race were really fast. It was a fast and tough
race," said Baxter, who took over the lead for good just before the
3-kilometer mark.

"I looked for an opening to go in and take the lead and that's what I did.
I knew if I wanted to win, I would have to get out there early."

New York regional champion Mary Cain was second in 19:20.88. Cain, who
ascended from sixth last year, attempted to close a six-second gap on
Baxter after the fourth kilometer, but the U.S. prep record holder in the
1,500 meters came up just short.

"Being a kicker, by the end I just didn't have enough space to finally
close," Cain said. "I spent that last (kilometer) just trying to close, but
I probably let the gap get too big."