[Vision2020] Idaho prison population percentages (was: Close to 27 Dead)

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri Dec 14 18:47:21 PST 2012

On 12/14/2012 5:43 PM, Darrell Keim wrote:
>  <[snip]>
> Did you know the Idaho state prison population is 6400?  In 1974 it
> was 614.  I don't claim that mental health issues account for this
> 96%(!!!!!!!) increase.  But, I'd bet my eye teeth that it DOES
> represent a good chunk of it.
<[snip]>

Seven apostrophes incarcerated within parentheses following an incorrect
percentage ... it might have been an exciting time.

614 divided by 6,400 yields the digits 0.0959, from which, in a state of
excitement, one might get 96%. That's just a guess.

The percent increase from 614 to 6,400 is calculated by first
subtracting 614 from 6,400, giving 5,786 as the numerical increase from
the base of 614. To calculate the percent increase from 614, divide
5,786 by 614 to yield the digits 9.423, which represents over a 942
percent increase from the base.  One could also say that there are 9.423
times as many inmates incarcerated in 2012 as in 1974.

As a comparative reference point, using the U.S. Bureau of Labor
Statistics Consumer Price Index Inflation Calculator, one can find that
614 in 1974 dollars is worth 2,867 in 2012 dollars.  That represents a
367 percent increase over the 1974 base.  One may go one division
further to discover that the rate of Idaho prison population increase
was 2.57 times the rate of consumer price inflation increase in the
years 1974 to 2012.

I do not have ready at hand more detailed data about annual prison
population increases and when Idaho made the transition from state
control of the prison system to private corporate operation of the
prisons, but statistics about the rate of prison population increase
after privatization compared to before privatization might be interesting.

Ken