[Vision2020] For Our Teachers

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu May 26 13:44:31 PDT 2011

Greetings Visionaires -

Those of us old enough to recall, there was a movie titled "To Sir With
Love" that came out in 1967, starring Sidney Poitier.

------------------------------

The storyline . . .

Engineer Mark Thackeray arrives to teach a totally undisciplined class at
an East End school. Still hoping for a good engineering job, he's hopeful
that he won't be there long. He starts implementing his own brand of
classroom discipline: forcing the pupils to treat each other with respect.
Inevitably he begins getting involved in the students' personal lives.
What will he decide when the engineering job comes through?

------------------------------

In my opinion, this movie dramatizes the plight of the teacher.

At the end of the movie, as Mr. Thackeray's class prepares to graduate,
Lulu (some of you remember her I am sure) sums everything up in a song . .
.

"To Sir With Love" by Lulu

http://www.tomandrodna.com/songs/To_Sir_With_Love.mp3

Those schoolgirl days, of telling tales and biting nails are gone,
But in my mind,
I know they will still live on and on,
But how do you thank someone, who has taken you from crayons to perfume?
It isn't easy, but I'll try,

If you wanted the sky I would write across the sky in letters,
That would soar a thousand feet high,
To Sir, with Love

The time has come,
For closing books and long last looks must end,
And as I leave,
I know that I am leaving my best friend,
A friend who taught me right from wrong,
And weak from strong,
That's a lot to learn,
What, what can I give you in return?

If you wanted the moon I would try to make a start,
But I, would rather you let me give my heart,
To Sir, with Love

These are lessons you simply cannot learn online.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Moscow, Idaho

and the Realist adjusts his sails."