[Vision2020] Bag It! Campaign Comes to Moscow

Bill London london at moscow.com
Mon Mar 7 16:53:19 PST 2011

Bag It! Campaign Comes to Moscow

Bag It!, the  international effort to lessen the use of single-use plastic bags by consumers, arrives in Moscow with the screening of “Bag It!” the movie, at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, March 23 at the Kenworthy Theatre sponsored by the Moscow Food Co-op.  The documentary is free for students and Co-op members, $3 for general public.

The film launches a campaign across Moscow to increase incentives to reduce and eliminate plastic bag usage and motivate people to use permanent, reusable shopping bags.  To reach that goal, the Co-op is partnering with University of Idaho Sustainability Center, the UI Vandal Store, the UI Graduate and Professional Students Association, Buy Local Moscow, and stores like the Storm Cellar and the Yarn Underground for activities and special events during the months of March and April.

Carol Price Spurling, Co-op Outreach and Ownership Coordinator who is coordinating the campaign, said “Plastic is a near-miraculous substance that has many practical uses. But it really shouldn't be used for anything ‘disposable’ because plastic isn't disposable at all. It is difficult if not impossible to recycle efficiently or safely. It is toxic to wildlife and humans, especially children. It persists for centuries, bioaccumulates into the food chain, and uses up precious non-renewable petroleum resources. Single-use plastic bags are really an unnecessary waste of plastic so we're anxious to show people how easy it is to get along without them.”

In Ireland, single-use plastic bags cost 20 cents each.  In China, they are banned.  Here in Moscow, Spurling said, we hope to convince everyone that when it comes to plastic bags, we should just bag ‘em.

In addition to the film, other special events planned for the Co-op include:
§  Special in-store demos of products designed to provide an alternative to toxic plastics.
§  Eliminating polyethylene grocery bags from our checkout stands in April.
§  Making inexpensive polypropylene reusable bags available.
§  Turn old t-shirts into cool reusable bags demonstrations.

For more information, please e-mail bagit at moscowfood.coop.