[Vision2020] Why don't any top 100 companies have any Idaho site?

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Thu Jan 27 01:56:07 PST 2011

On Wednesday 26 January 2011 17:33:17 Ron Force wrote:
> I don't know how attractive the living characteristics are, that's a matter
> of taste (William Tecumseh Sherman: "If I owned Hell and Texas, I'd rent
> out Texas and live in Hell"), but they are located in or near population
> concentrations. The population concentrations probably arose from various
> historical factors, and most people remain near where they were born.
> http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/migrate/2000pob.html

Thanks for the link. It's interesting to note that most of the states with the
highest foreign-born populations also have the most best-job sites. Listing
the states in rank order of percent of foreign-born shows that of the top ten
only HI, NH, DC, and AZ were replaced by VA, GA, MI, and WI in a rank order of
states with the most desirable job sites. It does not follow from this that
immigrants are taking America's best jobs, but it does say they're living in
the states where the best jobs are located.

However, after one overlays onto this data a map of the locations of H1-B visa
holders (foreigners who come to the USA sponsored by an employer) it is pretty
obvious that foreign-born people are being recruited by USA employers, quite
possibly to the disadvantage of American workers. Here's another interesting
bit of employment-related data:

http://www.myvisajobs.com/Reports/Map/H1B_Visa_Distribution_State.html

Clicking on selected circles reveals data that raises multiple interesting
questions. For example, after clicking on the Idaho circle, what explains the
Micron and University of Idaho data, considered separately and together?

Ken