[Vision2020] Say What??????

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Mar 31 10:31:33 PDT 2010

Dan, et al,

We are complete agreement here.

I have not read the case file yet, but early on allegations were made that the strangulation began while the victim was asleep.  I also hope that no parts of the case file are sealed except those which are sealed under strict mandate of law; not having some filings sealed as they were, for example, in the Sitler case to conceal the incompetency and egregiously poor judgment of certain public officials and to conceal the depravity of Sitler.

I am copying County Clerk Susan Peterson with this post with the request that she put and maintain the entire Parks case file online in PDF format, just as she so generously did in the Moscow Massacre case (Hamilton) case so that the many Latah County citizens with an interest in this case can have access to and can copy this information.

I fail to understand why Parks, now having admitted that he murdered his pregnant wife, and then burned her body to conceal his cowardly, brutal act, remains out on bail.  The only solace to be hoped for here is that Parks will take this opportunity to terminate himself.

Dan, here's where I hope we can be in agreement also:

We need to elect a competent, energetic PA who not only has balls and stellar trial abilities, but who will engage a staff with the same.  And a PA not susceptible to the influences of the good ol' boy/girl network in deciding the dispositions to be pursued in any case.

Without the strong threat of winning trials, the PA is forced to make weak plea bargains.  Winning trials by the PA makes stronger plea bargains a matter of course.

The PA's function has been in great hurt and has failed to provide protection for Latah County in my opinion since the departure of stellar trial attorney Robin Eckmann.  Witness the humiliating, totally unnecessary loss the manslaughter case where four people were killed on the highway south of Moscow on Reisenauer Hill.  PA Thompson tried this one himself.  A truck driver out of control kills four people, and the prosecutor fails to show negligence?

Many years ago in Boundary County, as a very young attorney, Randy Day, was elected PA.  For one with little experience; he did a credible job, probably better than many who have held that position since.  Randy Day (now deceased) went on to become one of the most astute and formidable attorneys in northern Idaho.  He was an exceptionally effective criminal defense trial attorney.  Near the end of his career in a show of public service he again ran for PA and was elected.  He was then a very effective PA and showed great personal courage in pursuing cases that many influential people preferred to have buried or to have resulted in sweetheart plea bargains.

All of us need to try our best to persuade an effective, ethical, proven, courageous local attorney to run for PA and to rigorously work for that person's election.  Until we have an effective PA function, Latah County will continue to see the sickening results like in cases like Parks and Sitler.  Such results not only perverts and makes a laughingstock of the criminal justice system, but fails greatly to provide the amount of deterrence desirable.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843