[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter VIII - March 2-7, 2010

Rep. Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
Sun Mar 7 11:29:06 PST 2010

LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER VIII--MARCH 2-7/2010

Constituents:

More bad financial news this week as
tax receipts for February came in about $11 million under estimate.  The Legislature will now be facing
key votes on budgets.

 1.
Education  --  JFAC approved a $1.58 billion
total budget for public schools for FY11.   These are the key budget adjustments:

      a.  Reduce state money for salaries of teachers and
classified staff by 4 percent and reduce money for administrators by 6.5%.

      b.  Reduce the minimum salary for a teacher to $29,655 down
from $30,915.

      c.  Combine funding for state test remediation, the math
initiative and the reading initiative and reduce it by 20 percent overall
to $9 million from $11.8 million.

      d.  Reduce funding for Early Retirement Incentive Program
by $1 million.

      e.  Allow districts to carry over unspent money in 2010 to
2011 from school supplies, gifted and talented teacher training  textbooks, technology and Safe and
Drug Free Schools.

      f.   Assign $22 million in extra cash coming from
state lands to discretionary spending accounts.

      g.  Reduce transportation funding by 10 percent and reduce
funding for Limited English Proficiency from $6 million to $4 million.

      Overall public education will
be cut by $128 million in Idaho's Race to the Bottom.

 2.
Taxes  --  There continues to be increased
discussion over tax increases to help protect education and essential
public services.   We could still realize considerable
tax recovery by hiring more auditors with the prospects of gaining $65
million in unpaid taxes.
Internet sales are another possibility.   Rep. Winder has a proposal in the Senate Rev and
Tax Committee to tax internet sales, and he estimates we could capture
about $80 million.
Sen.  Schroeder and I
have a similar proposal in the House Rev.  and Tax Committee.    Frankly,   I don't see any enthusiasm for the majority party
pushing ahead on calling for tax increases with an election year in front
of us.

  3.  Soil Conservation Legislation  --  Changes
to the existing soil conservation district law have been approved on the
House side and budget changes made in the budget committee.   The Commission will be a
free standing independent, non regulatory agency housed in the Dept. of
Agriculture.   Major
changes address the appointment of commission members, the hiring of the
administrator and the reporting requirements for the commission and local
soil and water conservation districts.

      The bill is currently hung up
on the Senate side.

  4.  Immunization Legislation  --  Idaho ranks below countries like Indonesia and Pakistan
in terms of vaccination rates for measles.  The Senate passed a bill a reminder system for
parents.  They would have to
"opt out" of getting a reminder from their doctor that a shot is
due rather than the current reminder to opt in.

  5.  Child Injuries  --  Sen Joyce Broadsword sponsored a bill that boosts the
maximum sentence to 20 years from 10 years for anyone convicted of a
felony injury to a child that results in great bodily harm, permanent
disability or permanent disfigurement.

  6.  SB1353  --  Freedom
of Conscience  --  The Senate passed the bill which
speaks innocuously but misleadingly about the freedom of conscience of
health care professionals.
What this bill also does is limit patients' freedoms to explore
their legally and constitutional protected options.

  7.  An uplifting announcement  --  Deposed Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich will be the
featured speaker at Northwestern University on the subject, "Ethics
in Government."

We are rapidly entering the "Ides
of March" and I like to hear your comments and recommendations.  Please contact me via e mail at
ttrail at house.idaho.gov or phone at 208-332-1148.

Rep. Tom Trail