[Vision2020] Clarification: Re: Coral Reefs: CO2 Source or Sink? Re: Four Levels of Global Warming: A Climate Change Update

Robert Dickow dickow at uidaho.edu
Sat Dec 18 15:58:01 PST 2010

Yes, coral as a class is ancient. But the past ages' highs and lows of CO2
concentrations and their effects on earth's life forms have to be seen in
light of the rate of change. Right now the rate of increase in CO2
concentrations and global climate change is unusually rapid. The corals of
the past would have hundreds of thousands of years to 'adjust' (I'll avoid
the word 'evolve' for now, in consideration of some readers on this list who
may have problems with that.)  Now the corals are just 'bleaching' out and
dying in many places. And the problem is not just with corals, which I'm
sure will still be around for a while despite their problems. It is that
they often are parts of delicate ecosystems that support all sorts of other
creatures, and a whole group of critters may be in peril of being upset.
And, finally, the fishing industry may be affected, and thus, the bottom
line is at risk. We just CAN'T HAVE THAT! ;-)

Bob Dickow, troublemaker