[Vision2020] The Plot Thickens (was What the . . . ?)

Debbie Gray graylex at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 15:52:26 PDT 2010

After many long months the university has toyed with the city of Moscow and the police department, putting stress on officers and their families with the threat of a lost contract and numerous lay-offs, now some chucklehead has approved an increase in expenditures to hire a security firm to supplement the police department. This makes no sense whatsoever.

I can find absolutely no rational reason for the UI to approve this contract and enter into this relationship with a firm who self-reports a lack of understanding of what exactly this work will look like in the next year or two on our campus. ("We do not purport to have the fully crystalized answer to the optimal staffing question; in fact, to make such a claim would be out of line....") [Tab 12:p. 44]

And reading their proposal I am struck by their priorities and explicit statements on what their limited abilities allow them to do.

This is my favorite part of the AlliedBarton response, on the very first page of their proposal:
"What makes AlliedBarton different from other providers University of Idaho could choose from?"
"We recognize the importance of your brand and will provide top quality officers who look great, reliably stand their posts, and are trained to deal with the challenges they will incur on campus."  And it's so important, they repeated it twice! (tab 12:p.44 and p.54)

Well there you go... that's their first qualification. We look great! Is this a beauty contest? Will their be a swimsuit or talent competition?

My next favorite part, and what concerns me most, is that campus security officers basically just observe and report. They aren't able to enforce laws, detain suspects, and often their policies prohibit them from intervening in violent and high-risk situations (for example see the story about the security officers who stood and watched a girl get beaten at a downtown bus stop, http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/11/seattle.beating/index.html ).

In additon "we patrol areas in a highly visible, proactive, and professional manner with the aim of discovering and reporting incidents of crime and disorder." [Tab 12:p.52]  No mention of preventing or interrupting or stopping incidents of crime and disorder.. just observe and report.

It's hard to believe in this time of economic crisis at the university (and beyond) that the powers-that-be have decided spending an extra $391,630.72 for a bunch of 'well-dressed' badge heavy rent-a-cops to wander about campus playing Reno 911/Paul Blart-Mall Cop/Keystone Cops is a wise, prudent or safe investment of public funds. While at the same time decreasing the fiscal support for the law enforcement agency who those rent-a-cops would then have to call because they have no power or authority to do anything. And don't get me started on their "training."

I will be exceptionally disappointed in the administrators and the SBOE if this contract is approved. Not suprised, but disappointed.

Debbie Gray