[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter 10 March 13-20

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Sat Mar 21 17:34:03 PDT 2009

Legislative Newsletter 10   March 13-20

Constituents:

     We know that the end may finally be in sight.  JFAC is starting to
set budgets, and leadership tells us that we will finally close up shop
somewhere between the 10-17th April.   Spring-like weather also helps us
to speed up our work.   Here are some issues covered this week.

1.  Governor's Transportation Bill  --  The Governor's bill to increase
the gas tax was defeated on a 42-28 vote.   The basic issue of improving
Idaho's transportation infrastructure was supported by everyone; however,
increasing the gas tax in tough economic times just didn't fit well with
those who voted against the bill.  I asked constituents for their input
and received almost 150 responses. Basically about 55 percent were
opposed to increasing taxes and 45 percent in favor of the bill.

     This was an extremely difficult vote for me, and I finally decided
to support the bill.  The last time that the gas tax was raised was back
in 1996 when Governor Batt came to the rescue of North Idaho after
devastating floods had wiped out many roads and bridges.   The tax went
up 4 cents a gallon and a majority of the funding went in to repairs
North Idaho bridges and highways.

     There was also the argument that we need to improve our roads
because of safety concerns.   School buses cover thousands of miles each
day taking our kids to school.   The safety of our children and citizens
is of paramount importance.  In tough economic times we are also trying
to encourage new     businesses to come to Idaho and provide adequate
roads for those already here.   A strong economic base provides jobs.
In any event, it looks like and new transportation revenues are out for
this session.

     2.  SB1002  --  This was the bill to assist the City of Moscow in
selling water to the Hawkins Development (if it decided to go ahead and
built across the state line).   The House Resources and Conservation
Committee without debate voted to hold the bill in committee which means
that the bill is dead for this session.   Several committee members said
the fact that no one can out in support for the bill spoke volumes.
Several committee members including Chairman Bert Stephenson and
Representative. Maxine Bell, Co-Chair of JFAC, said this was not a water
issue but a planning and zoning issue and should be settled at the local
level.   Committee members reported that there was only one letter of
support for the bill and that there was great opposition from some Moscow
and Latah elected officials as well as well as local citizens.

3.  Public Education  --  Last Friday, JFAC set a revenue projection that
could enable lawmakers to set a budget for next year that cuts public
school employee salaries by 3.5%.  However, in order to make that happen,
JFAC will need to use some of the stimulus money the governor recommended
using for other projects to help balance the state budgets and to offset
education and personnel cuts.   The Governor had recommended a 5 percent
salary cut.  There is more than enough money in the Public Education
Stabilization Fund, the federal stimulus money, and the various state
rainy day accounts to more than cover any funding gaps for next year.
The State could further generate more funds through reforming our tax
laws as proposed by Senator. Schroeder and myself in HB20.   The approach
calls for sun-setting all of the 75 exemptions that we have granted in
the state, and setting up a review of whether each exemption actually
benefits the state.   Those organizations whose exemption was viewed as
not benefitting the state would be eliminated and the exemption money
would flow into the state general fund.  This could be used to support
education.

     In a time when education is being cut back I get the feeling that
our educational system is rapidly heading toward Third World Country
status.  We currently require 180 days of school but about 10 days is
used for testing.  Educational systems in Asia and Europe require from
215-240 days of school/year.  The proposal of going to a four day school
week just doesn't compete in the global arena.   There are some important
facts to remember about supporting education:

     a.  Investing in our children and their education is the best way of
guaranteeing a stable economy for our state.  The 275,000 students in our
public school classrooms will show up for an education tomorrow and next
year, regardless of Idaho's economic conditions.   We owe them a quality
education.

     b.  Idaho already has the 6th largest class sizes in the national
and the per pupil expenditures rank 47th lowest in the country.

     c. In many districts the loss of even one teaching position could
result in the elimination of an entire program such as art or music.

     d.  Anything that affects teachers affects students: a teacher's
working conditions are a student's learning conditions.

     e.  Research has clearly shown that the most important factor
influencing student achievement is the teacher.   Reducing the number of
teachers means larger class size and this has a negative impact on
learning.

     f.   Idaho needs all the tools it can get to recruit and retain
teachers.  Idaho ranks 41st in the nation for the average salary paid to
teachers.

     The next three weeks will see how well we support education in the
Idaho and for the future.

     Please send me your comments, recommendations, and concerns.  My e
mail is ttrail at house.idaho.gov and phone is (208) 332-1184.

Representative Tom
Trail