[Vision2020] Walmart Gets Nod for Starting Work

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 9 16:44:27 PDT 2009

Garrett,

Wal-Mart isn't exploiting anyone anymore than anyone else. All your crap is made in China, not just the stuff you pull off the Wal-Mart shelf. Wal-Mart doesn't pollute anymore than any other business. Wal-mart pays the same or better than other retailers.

The fact that Wal-Mart sales are increasing as people get poor should tell you how vital is in providing jobs and services to the poor and disadvantaged than anyone else.

Wal-Mart isn't perfect. I don't think any business is. But it doesn't do anything its competition doesn't do. It does lots of good things as well, such as providing jobs, affordable goods, jobs for people others won't hire, it has drastically reduced the costs of over 200 prescription medications to $4, it helped find 1000s of missing and lost children, It donates billions to charitable causes. It doesn't waste millions on luxury for managers.

Tryng to blame Wal-Mart for Chinese labor laws and US trade agreements with China is misguided. If Wal-Mart stopped buying from China the conditions in China would worsen, not better, and Wal-Mart's competitors would gladly use those same factories to eventually drive Wal-Mart out of business. Wal-Mart is working within the system that the US and China has created.

Your opposition to Wal-Mart has not stopped them. It has only just moved the jobs, taxes, and resources to Pullman, because they know Wal-Mart is actually more of a blessing than curse despite its problems.

I think it is the intention of some of Moscow's residents to drive all the jobs it can over to Pullman or out of Moscow. I am not aware of any job that Moscow is willing to accept unless it is not supported by taxes.

Best Regards,

Donovan