[Vision2020] Our Nation's Greatest Strength (Bob Schieffer)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Jan 18 09:01:17 PST 2009

Courtesy of Bob Schieffer's final comment on today's (January 18,
2009) "Face the Nation".

Our Nation's Greatest Strength
by Bob Schieffer

And so it begins. On Tuesday next on the Capitol steps the old president
will leave and the new president will be sworn in.

It will go exactly as planned and precisely on schedule. The oath will be
administered just before high noon.

No force will be required to remove the old president; no troops will be
necessary to install the new one.

As it has been from the beginning, the old president will go and the new
president will arrive for no other reason than that is the expressed will
of the American people which is at once our greatest strength and the core
principle on which America came to be.

As happens in most successful campaigns, the next president was able to
capsulate his reason for wanting to lead the nation in one short
phrase, "Yes, we can."

On that, let us hope he is right.

He faces a severe economic crisis at home and an increasingly dangerous
world abroad.

>From Washington in the beginning, to Lincoln on the eve of the Civil War,
to Roosevelt during the Great Depression, history has shown our worst
times have produced our greatest presidents.

On that, let us hope history is right.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Moscow, Idaho

"For a lapsed Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman