[Vision2020] CPSC -- Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Sat Feb 14 16:50:17 PST 2009

Visioneers,

I know some of us have been keeping tabs on the toys from China that
have lead-based paint (among other things, thanks Saundra).  Congress
passed the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act in 2008 to impose
strict lead content guidelines on children's everyday toys.
Unfortunately, this has created some unforeseen consequences.

The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA) has
effectively banned the sale of youth off-highway vehicles (OHVs). The
American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) is calling for action now to
help reverse the potentially devastating effect this could have on the
sport of OHV recreation.

Even our local Yamaha dealer, Palouse Country Sports, has been affected.
Just look at the Yamaha website
(http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/478/0/home.aspx).
I find it hard to believe that something I bought for my children is no
longer available to others.  We can all agree that there should be lead
content restrictions on everyday toys, but for the life of me I can't
see where there's any sort of risk from lead content from these small
motorcycles.

Now, I know I'm definitely in the minority here on the Vizzz regarding
OHV recreation, and I know there are some here who are adamantly against
any sort of motorized outdoor recreation.  But you have to admit, there
is some good that comes from kids being able to ride these small
motorcycles and ATVs.  I know my kids are better for it, since it has
taught them how to be safe and the responsibility required in
maintaining these machines.  In light of that, I'd hope you folks on the
vizzz can get behind this and help remedy this problem with the CPSIA.
An easy way is to go to
http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/story.asp?id=613 and it will take you
to the links to our congressmen.  I don't think the CPSIA was meant to
have this consequence regarding small OHVs.

Thanks for your time,

DC