[Vision2020] Walt Minnick

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 27 12:44:58 PDT 2009

On Thursday 27 August 2009 07:43:23 Wayne Price wrote:
> Rose,
>
> I think your [sic] right about Walt Minnick being a "one term Charlie".

Possibly, but let's not give up the idea of re-electability before it has been
thoroughly tested with the best effort possible.

> I am a Democrat, and find his stand now that he is elected to be very
> disturbing. He HAS lost the liberal Democrat vote and I can only hope
> that the party will find a DEMOCRAT to run against him, or the only
> choice voters will have is between a Republican that says he/she is a
> Republican, or someone that claims to be a Democrat but isnt!  "He is,
> in his own words a Democrat by default."

Personally, I give more than a tinker's damn for the sanctity of the will of
the Idaho's First District electorate, and until it demonstrates some clearly
more pronounced tendencies toward electing an actual red-blooded liberal, I
will prefer to elect a Democrat with blue dog blood rather than some generic
Republican whose circulatory system's contents are undetermined.

> I loved how he is against the health care bill because it will cost
> too much money, but he could support 600,000 +  people getting
> government subsidies for new cars!  Just what we need in an economic
> down turn, more people in debt!

Those people who are signing those loan papers get the use of a new vehicle,
and those auto companies get a new leases on corporate life. This alternative
to their corporate deaths is preferable to the economic domino collapse of
the secondary and tertiary suppliers to the primary automobile manufacturers,
and to the national economic stagnation that could easily result therefrom.

> He could support 3 billion dollars of additional money that will go to the
> auto industry, but where is his support of the National Guard and Reserve
> retirement program? For veterans, no money, for the auto industry there is
> plenty!

The auto industry bailout is smaller than the cost of veterans' retirement and
health care costs by at least an order of magnitude. Over the entire lives of
today's veterans and soldiers in service, the difference may be two orders of
magnitude, amounting to more than a trillion dollars in total dollar outlays.
Stop and think about that for a minute. Over a trillion dollars for veterans'
benefits -- that's a lot of money -- and it's just one portion of national
entitlement commitments.

This nation has sobering economic challenges ahead, and we need to elect
people who are willing and able to meet these challenges responsibly, not
just add to them because the voting buttons for Yea or Nay are on their desk.

Ken