[Vision2020] Microsoft Windows News

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 21:13:38 PDT 2009

I copy a lot of files -- hundreds in an average week --  and the file
copy is so many slower in Vista that I want to pull my teeth out.  Not
50% slower, but several times slower.  Installing applications is also
much slower in Vista, and I'm not just talking about because of the
annoying nanny messages.

I personally reaped no benefits by migrating to Vista.  There were
numerous arbitrary, pointless interface changes, and the complete
aggravating idiocy of providing a 32-bit version of a 64-bit OS, which
guaranteed lackadaisical 64-bit support for drivers.  Vista exists in
a ridiculous number of versions, while somehow Mac OS X exists in one.

I was initially excited by Vista.  I plunked for the 64-bit version of
Ultimate, and immediately resigned myself to compatibility hell.
Microsoft didn't even provide a 64-bit version of their own anti-virus
software, and the copy-protection of mamy on-line games (which I play
heavily) balked at the 64-bit version.  Microsoft screwed their power
users.  Their flagship product -- Vista Ultimate 64-bit -- was broken
and poorly supported on delivery.  It was also obscenely expensive.

Your mileage apparently varies.  ;-)

Chas