[Vision2020] McCain/Palin Continue Using Dishonest Fear Tactics in Robocalls

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 16 10:11:23 PDT 2008

More Politics of Desperation & Dishonesty

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/10/mccainrnc_robocall_q
uestions_w.php
OR
http://tinyurl.com/48n648

New McCain Campaign/RNC Robocalls Question Whether Obama And Dems Really
Want To Keep Us Safe
By Greg Sargent - October 16, 2008, 12:17PM
The McCain campaign and the Republican National Committee are pumping stark
new robo-calls into Virginia that assert that Barack Obama isn't "who you
think" he is and subtly question whether he and his fellow Democrats really
want to keep us safe.

The insinuations in the call -- which was sent our way by a Virginia reader
-- go considerably beyond the McCain campaign's official message about Obama
and national security, meaning this is another under-the-radar effort to
push a more lurid message than might be considered acceptable in broad
daylight.

Give it a listen:
[Click To Play at Web site]

"Barack Obama and his fellow Democrats aren't who you think they are," the
call says. "They say they want to keep us safe, but Barack Obama said the
threat we face now from terrorism is nowhere near as dire as it was in the
end of the Cold War. And Congressional Democrats now want to give civil
rights to terrorists."

Note the effort to sow doubts by saying Obama and Dems "aren't who you think
they are" and that they merely "say" they want to keep us safe.

The claim about Dems and civil rights for terrorists seems to be a reference
to Congressional Dems' support for habeas for terror suspects. And the
assertion about Obama and the Cold War appears to be a distorted reference
to this recent claim by Obama:

"Iran, Cuba, Venezuela -- these countries are tiny compared to the Soviet
Union. They don't pose a serious threat to us the way the Soviet Union posed
a threat to us."

The robocall closes with a stark suggestion that Obama and Dems can't be
trusted on national security. "John McCain and his party allies understand
the threats we face," it says. "When you vote, vote for the team you can
trust to keep America safe."

Today's call comes after we reported here yesterday that the McCain campaign
are pumping calls into multiple states claiming that Obama put "Hollywood
above America," suggesting a massive last-minute robocall effort by McCain
is underway as the race enters its final stretch.

Neither the McCain campaign nor the RNC immediately responded to a request
for comment.