[Vision2020] Care About Healthy School Nutrition for Our Children?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 12:51:09 PDT 2008

Vegetarian diets can include B-12 from foods that are commonly available
(check the Moscow Food CO-OP).

Spirulina, brewers yeast, and tempeh all can have significant amounts of
vegetarian sourced B-12.  I am holding a bottle of Nutrex
Spirulina purchased at the Moscow Food CO-OP that lists B-12 (Human
Active) content in 2 tsp. at 30 % of RDA.  The bottle
does not indicate this is artificially added.  Either this is
a false claim, or a significant source of vegetarian B-12, not from
supplements.

However, there is disagreement on whether these foods contain enough B-12 of
the correct kind for optimum health in a vegetarian
diet without taking B-12 supplements, a rather easy option.  Sometimes
spirulina, brewers yeast and tempeh, depending on how
produced and processed, have limited B-12 or not of the correct kind.

Given the claims at this web site below, that B-12 is not make by plants,
but by
micro-organisms, it is no surprise that brewers yeast and tempeh can contain
B-12, given the micro-organisms involved in these foods.
"Plants" are not the only source of food for a non-animal sourced diet. a
common misconception.  Spirulina is a micro-algae, so
either this is not a "plant," or the claim that plants do not produce B-12
is false, the label on my spirulina bottle is a lie, or the B-12
is added artificially to this spirulina.

But consider that insects in the diet can supply B-12, also according to
this web site below.  Are insects acceptable
for a "vegetarian" diet?  They are not plants, but are they considered
animals?  If they are not animals, a vegetarian could
get B-12 from this source, though our culture's views of insects as foods
would render this unthinkable for many:

http://www.vegetarianaction.org.au/Refs/RFB12.htm

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett