[Vision2020] Does your RV need a diet?

donald edwards donaledwards at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 12 16:00:19 PDT 2008

Good Point Glen, even a 400HP muscle car can squeeze 25mpg with an overdrive and EFI.  From the looks of the info below maybe we should focus more on the motorcycle convention:

Does Your RV Need to be Put on a Diet
After years of toil building the perfect vehicle to take you down the road in style, you may have to face an alarming fact-all those gizmos and quirks that make your RV yours, have made it overweight! If you find yourself in this situation, you're not alone. Statistics show that more than 60% of recreational vehicles on the road today are over weight-limit restrictions. Many people choose not to worry about it. Here are a few good reasons why you should.
First, RVs are slow stoppers. On average it takes a RV 65% more time to come to a full stop than a regular-size car. When your RV is overweight, it takes even more time to stop. And, since it's difficult to know exactly how much more time is required, you may be unprepared in an emergency.
Secondly, more weight means more stress on your tires, transmission, suspension and axles, which means these systems can give out prematurely and many times unexpectedly.
If you are unable to, the officer may escort you to a weigh station. If you are overweight, he can require you to solve the problem before you can drive away.

Total Weight of Vehicle
Gas Mileage
Diesel Mileage

20,000 lbs. or more
5 to 8 mpg
5 to 10 mpg

15,000 - 19,000 lbs.
6 to 8 mpg
8 to 11 mpg

12,000 - 14,000 lbs.
7 to 9 mpg
10 to 13 mpg

9,000 - 11,000 lbs.
8 to 11 mpg
12 to 15 mpg

6,000 - 8,000 lbs.
12 to 15 mpg
16 to 20 mpg

3,000 - 5,000 lbs.
20 mpg or more
25 mpg or more
Finally, lightening your load saves you money. Excess weight will cause your components to burn out more quickly, requiring more frequent replacement. These sudden failures can also cause accidents, which can delay your trip, cost you money and jeopardize your safety. Carrying a heavier load also burns more gas or diesel. The following is a rough guideline as to load versus gas mileage, courtesy of RV Buyer's Guide.
Keeping the Balance
Load balancing is as important as the overall weight of your RV. You know how disconcerting it is when you are carrying a grocery bag in each hand and one is much heavier than the other. Imagine going thousands of miles in this condition. The weight distribution will affect your steering, stopping and cornering. The uneven wear on your tires and axles increases your chances of a rollover accident. Weight distribution needs to be considered not only side to side, but also front to back. As far as side to side, try to be as evenly weighted as possible. Front to back, the distribution should be 30/70. Under no circumstances should the RV be heavier in the front than in the back.
When packing for your trip, keep the weight distribution issue in mind. If you are bringing along any heavy items, make sure they are evenly placed left to right in the RV. Secure items so their weight does not shift around when the coach is in motion. Get to a weigh station after you have packed the vehicle for a trip. You'll be amazed at how much your "stuff" can weigh. A typical RV owner packs 2,000 to 3,000 pounds of belongings when preparing for a trip.
A big part of the "stuff" you bring along is necessities like water, propane and gasoline. To help you gauge the weight of your essentials, here is a guideline for liquid weight (pounds per gallon):

Water: 8.3
Gasoline: 5.6
Propane: 4.2
Diesel Fuel: 6.8
Buying and/or Building
When you buy a new coach from the dealer or manufacturer, in most cases, the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) according to the manufacturer, as mandated by the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA), is posted on the vehicle as a guideline for you. However, it can be difficult to know exactly what the weight limits are for a vehicle you have custom-built. The axles are the best place to start for weight guidelines on your RV. Axles are rated with the amount of load they can carry. This rating is called the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR). Be mindful of these ratings and the amount of load each axle will be carrying. For balance, each end of the axle should have approximately the same load, as axle ratings are based on the assumption that the load is equal on both sides. Also, when choosing your tires, check their weight rating and choose tires that are appropriate for the size of your RV. Manufacturers assign a weight rating for all tires. Dealerships typically have access to listings of all makes and manufacturers of tires and their weight ratings.
If you are buying a used coach or converted bus, weight ratings are something you should bring up to the salesperson. If he doesn't know the answers to your questions, either arrange to weigh the vehicle yourself or have an inspector check it out for you. If possible, find out the weight per wheel. This is particularly important if you are buying a previously owned RV conversion. An amateur builder may not have arranged the components of the RV to be evenly distributed across the axles. Salespeople may tell you not to worry about the weight issue because they want to make the sale. Don't believe them. Not only is weight a serious safety issue; fixing the wear and tear due to being overweight is extremely costly. Flying J Truck stops often have public weigh stations for a small fee. Some states will also allow you to use the commercial truck stops to weigh.
On the Road
The safety checks don't stop once you've purchased and left home for your first trip. Because the items you are carrying are constantly changing as food is consumed and water tanks are emptied and refilled, you should keep weight and balance in the back of your mind for the entire journey. When you bring new things on board, remember to think about balancing your load and evenly distributing the items on each axle of the vehicle. Check your tires once in a while. If it seems one side of the vehicle is getting more worn than the other, then you may have a balance issue. Remember, too, that proper tire inflation will help you carry your load in a balanced and efficient manner.