[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: Summer Reading

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 23:31:00 PDT 2008

I guess I would argue that we are different from, but not necessarily
superior to, other animals.  The way in which we are different is a
consequence of our intelligence and our ability to shape our
environment: we have more capacity to do evil and more capacity to do
good.  We have a wider range, in effect.

Minimizing this doesn't help us any.  Animals with less ability to shape
our environment might not be strip mining and driving those evil SUVs,
but they can't do anything about an asteroid on it's way to collide with
us or save seeds in an underground bunker for future species to use, or
find a way to spread life to other planets, or learn how to cope with
other disasters, either.  To argue that we are no better than other
animals is to deny our potential.  On the other hand, to argue that we
are no worse than other animals is still incorrect, as we have the power
to do more harm.

Paul