[Vision2020] iSTARS (light)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Feb 29 17:41:01 PST 2008

>From the State Department of Education wbsite at:

http://www.sde.idaho.gov/newsandpress/mediacenter.asp

About Superintendent Tom Luna

Tom moved to Idaho with his wife Cindy 27 years ago to attend college at
BYU-Idaho (formerly Ricks College). Tom also attended Boise State
University and later graduated from Thomas Edison State College.

Before becoming Idaho’s Superintendent of Public Instruction in January
2007, Tom was a successful businessman. He was the president of Scales
Unlimited Inc., a company he has owned for more than 20 years in the
Treasure Valley. Two of his brothers now run the business.

Tom first got involved in the state’s education system by serving on the
Nampa School Board for seven years, including three years as chairman.

Tom was appointed under former Governor Phil Batt to lead the Idaho
Achievement Standards Commission. Under former Governor Dirk Kempthorne,
he was appointed to chair the Idaho Assessment and Accountability
Commission. The success of these two commissions resulted in the popular
Achievement Standards and the Idaho Standards Achievement Test (ISAT),
both useful tools for teachers and parents.

In March 2003, President Bush appointed Tom to serve as a senior advisor
to U.S. Secretary of Education Rod Paige.  Tom traveled the country on
behalf of President Bush and Secretary Paige, focusing on rural education
and school choice, two issues that greatly affect Idaho.

I'm guessing that I have probably spent more time in classrooms (including
study hall throughout most of my adolescent years) than Tom "Loony" Luna.

Other than his link to the Bush administration (now, there's something for
his resume'), what exactly qualifies Tom "Loony" Luna to be Idaho's
Secretary of Public Instruction?

Tom Hansen
Moscow, Idaho