[Vision2020] Say What?

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Sun Aug 31 09:04:50 PDT 2008

The quote that Hansen paraphrased was from an
interview of Sarah Palin by Larry Cudlow of the Kudlow & Co. program.

The context of the question is important.  Here
is the link to the full interview, which was conducted on August 1, 2008

http://www.cnbc.com/id/25970197

Here is the relevant question and response - near the end of the interview.

Kudlow: All right. You have a legion of fans who
want you to become Senator McCain’s
vice-presidential candidate. In fact, on the
world’s largest pay-to-play prediction market,
betting parlor, called InTrade, you are in third
place with a 20 percent support probability
behind former Governor Romney and present
Governor of Minnesota Pawlenty. Is this police
flap, state investigation, going to disqualify
you from becoming Senator McCain’s vice-presidential candidate?

Palin: Well it shouldn’t disqualify me from
anything, including progressing the state’s
agenda here towards more energy production so we
can contribute more to the U.S. Nor should it
dissuade any kind of agenda progress in any arena
because again, I haven’t done anything wrong. And
through an investigation of our lawmakers who are
kind of looking at me as a target, we invite
those questions so that we can truthfully answer the questions.

But as for that VP talk all the time, I’ll tell
you, I still can’t answer that question until
somebody answers for me what is it exactly that
the VP does everyday? I’m used to being very
productive and working real hard in an
administration. We want to make sure that that VP
slot would be a fruitful type of position,
especially for Alaskans and for the things that
we’re trying to accomplish up here for the rest
of the U.S., before I can even start addressing that question.

Kudlow: Well I worked in the White House during
President Reagan’s first term, let me assure you,
and I’ve spent a lot of time in the Bush White
House as a journalist in meetings with
interviews. It’s a pretty big job, Madame
Governor. It’s a real big job. You’d be surprised
by how big the veep job is these days!

Palin: Well this is a pretty cool job here too
though as Governor of Alaska­the wealthiest state
in the union in consideration of the natural
resources that we have. Again, and we being in a
position ready, willing and able to tap these
resources, flow them into hungry markets across
the U.S. to lead towards a more secure nation; to
lead towards a more peaceful nation also and
energy independence. All those things that Alaska
should be contributing. I think that I can help do that as Governor of Alaska.

The interview was very well done.