[Vision2020] Minnesota governor told he isn't McCain's VP pick, sources say

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Aug 29 07:37:44 PDT 2008

>From CNN -

Minnesota governor told he isn't McCain's VP pick, sources say

(CNN) -- Sen. John McCain's campaign has told Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty
he will not be the GOP vice presidential nominee in November, sources told
CNN on Friday.

Pawlenty on Friday also told WCCO Radio in Minneapolis-St. Paul that he
will not be in Dayton, Ohio, where the presumptive Republican presidential
nominee is expected to unveil his choice of a running mate at a rally
later Friday.

The McCain campaign said it's hoping to have 15,000 people at the Ohio
event, roughly five times the size of his largest crowd to date.

A Republican source said McCain settled on his choice of a running mate at
a meeting of his advisers Wednesday.

Thursday night's arrival of a private jet from Alaska at the Middleton,
Ohio, airport raised speculation that Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin would be
McCain's pick. Middleton is 25 miles from Dayton.

Rich Bevis, an airport manager at the Middleton airport, said that a
woman, two men and two teenagers were onboard.

"This is the most secretive flight we've ever had," Bevis said.

In June, Palin told CNN that she thought McCain should choose a governor
as his running mate and that she would like to serve on a national
level, "but I don't think it's going to happen on this go-round though."

In an interview with a Pennsylvania radio station that was taped Wednesday
and aired Thursday, McCain said he had not settled on a nominee. The
Associated Press reported that the interview with KDKA radio had occurred
Thursday, which created confusion as to whether McCain had finalized his
choice for vice president.  Watch who is on McCain's shortlist »

Asked whether either former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge or former
Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney was his VP pick, McCain replied to KDKA, "I
haven't decided yet, so I can't tell you."

Both men are expected to join McCain at a rally Saturday in Pennsylvania.

Ridge, who is also the former secretary of homeland security, is
reportedly on McCain's shortlist of possible running mates.

A Republican insider said this month that McCain campaign manager Rick
Davis has called several state party chairmen and indicated that Ridge
will be the Republican vice presidential pick this cycle.

During his interview with KDKA, McCain praised Ridge, saying, "He's a
great American and a great and dear friend, and I rely on him, and I have
for many years."

But the possibility that Ridge could be McCain's running mate sparked a
backlash among conservatives because he supports abortion rights.

Another potential VP pick, Sen. Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut, also
raised concerns among conservatives. Lieberman, an independent senator who
was the 2000 Democratic vice presidential nominee, has been a vocal
supporter of the war in Iraq, but he, too, backs abortion rights.

If McCain picks either man, it could drive away social conservatives who
are already uneasy about his nomination, conservative activists warned.

In an open letter to McCain, conservative activist Richard A. Viguerie
wrote, "Your indication that you're willing to put a person who has a
clear, unequivocal pro-abortion record within a heartbeat of the
presidency is alarming."

"Sen. McCain, you are exceedingly proud of being a political maverick --
you wear it as a badge of honor. Well, poke the base of the Republican
Party -- the conservatives -- in the eye one more time by choosing a pro-
abortion vice presidential candidate, and conservatives will show you that
two can play the maverick game," Viguerie said.

Romney ran against McCain this year for the GOP presidential nomination
and was a frequent critic of the senator on the campaign trail.

But Romney endorsed McCain after he captured the Republican nomination and
has campaigned for him. He also opposes abortion rights, a position he
said he came to in 2004 after studying the stem cell-issue as
Massachusetts governor. Before then, Romney was in favor of abortion
rights.

Seeya at Farmers' Market, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Moscow, Idaho