[Vision2020] can you identify this bird?

Mike Curley curley_33 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 29 12:35:50 PDT 2007

In the woods below Moscow Mountain recently I saw two birds, apparently mates, that I could not identify--and I don't find in my "Birds of N. A." book.  As best I can describe them, they were about the size and shape of a robin or a grosbeak (different beak, of course);  white head, breast, and neck, except for a black eye-stripe that completely circled the head (i.e., white above and below the stripe);  mostly black "lower" body and tail feathers, except a strip of white along the trailing edge of the tail, and a few nonprominent white markings on the wings.  They perched on the trunk of the tree rather than on a branch.
They allowed me to approach much closer than most birds, especially in the wild.  They also made no sound discernable to me.  In the thick woods--and because they didn't fly far from me, I wasn't able to notice much about their flight patterns.
I've tried googling without luck.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Mike Curley