[Vision2020] FW: [Vandal]BB MEN WIN

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 12:46:53 PST 2007

Tom et. al.

Just the past few days I was reminiscing about this U of I basketball
team...

Thanks for the memories, Tom... I recall watching Monson's team in the
Kibbie Dome that season...An exciting team to watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Monson#1981-82_season

The 1982 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_in_sports> basketball team was
the most successful in the school's history, and has yet to be surpassed.
Building upon the success of the previous season, the Vandals won their
first 16 games and went 24-2 in the regular season. They defeated
Gonzaga<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzaga_University>,
all four Pac-10 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ten_Conference> teams
from the Northwest <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest>. They
won the eight-team Far West Classic in
Portland<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland%2C_Oregon>in late
December
1981 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_in_sports>, winning all three games
by at least 19 points (over Iowa
State<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_State_University>,
Oregon State <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_State_University>, and
Oregon <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Oregon>).

The Vandals' only setbacks during the regular season were consecutive
two-point road losses in late January. The first was to rival
Montana<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Montana>on a
raucous Saturday night in
Missoula <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula%2C_Montana> on a tip-in at
the buzzer. The second was to Notre
Dame<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Notre_Dame>in South
Bend <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bend%2C_Indiana> two days later,
ending a three-games-in-four-nights road trip, which included multiple
weather-related travel delays. The Vandals then reeled off eight straight
victories to conclude the regular season, and won the four-team conference
tournament, which they hosted for the second straight year as regular season
champions.

Their 26-2 record after the Big
Sky<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sky_Conference>tournament (& ten
straight victories) earned the Vandals a #8 national
ranking and a #3 seed in the West region of the 48-team NCAA
tournament<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament>,
which included a first round bye.

Idaho's first game (in the second round) was nearly a home game,
conveniently played just eight miles west in Pullman,
Washington<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pullman%2C_Washington>on a
Sunday afternoon. The opponent was 16th-ranked
Iowa <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Iowa> of the Big
Ten<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference>,
the region's #6 seed, then coached by Lute
Olson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lute_Olson>.
Iowa, a Final Four team two years earlier, had won their first round game
handily, but Idaho won this close game by two points, 69-67 in overtime, and
advanced to the Sweet 16 at the West regional in Provo,
Utah<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provo%2C_Utah>
.

-----

Ted Moffett