[Vision2020] Why should everyone pay for MSD?

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Jan 25 19:13:29 PST 2007

I agree about class sizes.  In fact, I tried to make suggestions and supply
information about this could be how done, but I failed to elicit sufficient
interest on the part of the local school board and superintendent.  The
suggestion was to implement a well designed program of peer teaching.  This
has been very successful, particularly in northern Europe.  It worked very
well when I taught in Africa.

Anyone willing to spend some time Googling, can learn about the educational,
social, and economic advantages of a well designed peer teaching program.

There is a great deal of research showing that challenging students to the
upper limits of their ability also results in greater interest and
performance on their part.  Some of my former students who now are on V 2020
can attest that if nothing else, they were challenged, and almost all of
them responded with stellar performances.

There is another problem which many do not like to speak about.  I will, but
not meaning to give offense to any particular individual.  That problem is
the quality of students who choose to be teachers and the quality of teacher
education.  Although it is unkind and only partially true, there is some
truth in the old joke:

If you can perform it, teach it.
If you can't teach it, join the faculty of the College of Education.

There are many fine teachers and teacher educators.  But alas, there are
plenty of mediocre/lackluster/grind-it-out ones and some absolutely terrible
ones.  In the context of the present global economic milieu, it is important
to prepare all of our students to be able to perform at their best (in
addition to being able to enjoy fruitful, ethical, happy lives.)  Hence,
money (read taxes) needs to be invested in higher teacher salaries so that
over the long run, high quality people choose to teach and high quality
people choose to enter teacher education.  This is a long term investment
and may take many years to have an effect.  It will not have any effect if
done without a well designed plan.

We cannot blame most of the cost of administration on the school district.
Much administrative work is generated by rules from the state and federal
level over which the local school district has little control.  It is a very
complex problem:  Too little administration, then accountability is lost and
many will take advantage; too much administration, as you point out, takes
money from resources best applied to direct educational efforts.

I am not real optimistic that our country is going to solve this problem.
Institutions change very slowly and not always for the best except in
crises.  The small class mantra is very difficult to dislodge despite
overwhelming evidence from other countries that quality education can take
place with much larger classes.  Our country has lost some of the steam
behind a strong work ethic -- time that should be spent learning and helping
others to learn is spent more now toward entertainment pursuits, etc, not to
mention that the average pace of work has slowed very noticeably over the
last 50 - 75 years.  The conflict between secular values and the multitudes
of various different, conflicting religious based values makes a large
cooperative effort for the sake of our country and its children extremely
difficult and highly improbable.  Exacerbating this is the size of the human
ego and the unwillingness of pundits, religious crackpots, and political
leaders to rely on empirical evidence from well-crafted studies and
experiments dealing with effective learning.

I am sorry this situation exists, but I am glad that I am old and will not
have to suffer much longer the consequences of this and other problems.  I
can truly say that this problem and other social/political/ecological
problems are part of the reason that I have never fathered a child.  Look
what we are leaving to our youth.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com