[Vision2020] Huckabee Wants Women To Be Submissive

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Dec 31 16:35:04 PST 2007

>From KTVU (CBS affiliate) of the San Francisco Bay area at:

http://www.ktvu.com/politics/14951887/detail.html

Huckabee Wants Women To Be Submissive
Candidate: Take Nation 'Back For Christ'

POSTED: 8:41 am PST December 31, 2007

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Mike Huckabee, a Republican relying on support from
religious conservatives in Thursday's hard-fought presidential caucuses, on
Sunday stood by a decade-old comment in which he said, "I hope we answer the
alarm clock and take this nation back for Christ."

In a television interview, the ordained Southern Baptist minister and former
Arkansas governor made no apologies for the 1998 comment made at a Southern
Baptist Convention meeting in Salt Lake City.

"It was a speech made to a Christian gathering, and, and certainly that
would be appropriate to be said to a gathering of Southern Baptists,"
Huckabee said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

He gave the speech the same year he endorsed the Baptist convention's
statement of beliefs on marriage that "a wife is to submit graciously to the
servant leadership of her husband even as the church willingly submits to
the headship of Christ." Huckabee and his wife, Janet, signed a full-page ad
in USA Today in support of the statement with 129 other evangelical leaders.

The former governor, who rallied Christian evangelicals to make him a
surprise force in Iowa, has put his faith front and center in his campaign.
His stump speech sounds like a pastor's pitch from a pulpit. Campaign ads
emphasize faith and call him a Christian leader. He frequently quotes Bible
verses.

As his fortunes have improved, Huckabee has faced a drumbeat of questions
and criticism about his gubernatorial record and the role of faith in his
administration. He also has made some missteps while trying to fend off a
challenge -- and critical TV ads -- from Mitt Romney, a former Massachusetts
governor and Mormon whose faith unsettles some religious conservatives.

Four days before the caucuses Thursday, a new poll found Huckabee's surge
may have stalled; his once double-digit lead over Romney has evaporated.
Private polling shows the two in a dead heat.

The television interview was Huckabee's only campaign appearance Sunday.

With the media throng following him having grown immensely, Huckabee
scrapped a public event at a church in favor of attending a private service
closed to reporters. Instead of courting voters, he hunkered down to film
new TV ads, perhaps spots responding to Romney's barrage of critical
commercials.

As recently as Friday, Huckabee insisted he wanted to run a positive
campaign. He also reserved the right to respond aggressively.

Those skeptical of the role of faith in his presidency, he said, should look
at his record in Arkansas.

"I didn't ever propose a bill that we would remove the Capitol dome of
Arkansas and replace it with a steeple," he said. "You know, we didn't do
tent revivals on the grounds of the Capitol."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Moscow, Idaho

"People walking up to you