[Vision2020] Water

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Mon Aug 6 10:35:52 PDT 2007

It all has to do with which aquifer the city wells are pumping from.
Wanapum water is heavy in iron and manganese that make for the taste
and the brown color (especially when treated for sanitary purposes
with chlorine). Grande Ronde water is virtually free of iron and
manganese or an other trace contaminants. Up until 1960, Moscow
pumped Wanapum water exclusively, so Pat's observation that it's
always been brown is likely correct up until that time. In 1960, the
Wanapum wells were replaced with deeper Grande Ronde wells which then
supplied almost all the Moscow water until 1990 when demand (growth)
outstripped the ability of the GR wells to supply the city. Since
1990, Wanapum water has been mixed with Grande Ronde water in a 30/70
ratio adding the color and taste back into the water supply. Older
houses probably never got the full benefit of the 30 years of GR
water as the sediments and iron bacteria that Janesta wrote about
live in the pipes. So if you lived close to one of the GR wells
between 1960 and 1990 in a new house in a new subdivision you
probably had good clean water during that time.

m.