[Vision2020] vote

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 28 01:39:28 PDT 2006

Pat Kraut wrote:

>Who to vote for? How to make the choice for my very precious vote? Well, as
>for Grant his very first AD listed things he thought were wrong with our
>world today only one of which was 'oil companies gouging us'. Since he was a
>head of a big organization I would have expected him to know that the price
>of oil is much more complicated than the companies.

Well, when the price of oil is high because of wars in the middle east
and/or refinery problems or whatever the excuse happens to be, you can
basically do one of two things.  You can set a price that covers the
cost of the oil wholesale and your expenses and that makes you a minimum
amount for the duration of the external events causing this problem as a
responsible service to your customers (lowering those prices again when
the immediate problems are over), or you can surf that wave until you
land ass-over-tea-kettle on the beach.  One guess as to which option I
think the oil companies chose.  Record profits don't just happen as a
strange coincidence.  Nor do accusations of price-gouging.  But hey, who
wants to criticize the true blue American ideal of making a buck at the
expense of others just because you can?  After all it's just business.

Paul

P.S.  Look at me!  I'm bottom-posting!