[Vision2020] polarizing and the two-party system

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Oct 15 09:21:17 PDT 2006

One option in a three-way race would be to adopt a method used by (you're
not go to believe this) Louisiana.  There would be a run-off race between
the top two candidates.

As in your example:

Green Party Candidate - 25%
Democrat Candidate - 35%
Republican Candidate - 40%

The subsequent run-off election would be between the Democrat candidate and
the Republican candidate.  Since the election concerns a one-person office,
I fail to see how this could be accomplished any other way.  Any candidate
worth his/her salt would support/enact policies which would appease the most
people.

It is a simple matter of "Rule by Majority".  I realize that, with your
example, a true majority vote may not be realized.  However, considering all
aspects, it is the fairest approach.

Tom Hansen
Vandalville, Idaho

"Politicians are like diapers.  They should be changed frequently and for
the same reason."

- Robin Williams