[Vision2020] [Norton AntiSpam] Soldiers' widows sue for pagan symbols on headstones

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Nov 14 16:45:05 PST 2006

Things are slowly improving, Wayne.

Eventually VA will get the hint.  Until then, though, we will have to rely
on the individual states to do the right thing.

>From the September 16, 2006 edition of the Army Times -

Nevada allows pentacle

The widow of a Nevada National Guard soldier killed in Afghanistan won state
approval Sept. 13 to place a Wiccan symbol on his memorial plaque in a state
veterans cemetery, something the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs had
refused.

"I'm honored and ecstatic. I've been waiting a year for this," Roberta
Stewart told The Associated Press.

Sgt. Patrick Stewart, 34, was killed in Afghanistan on Sept. 25, 2005, when
the helicopter he was in was shot down. He was a follower of Wicca, which VA
does not recognize.

Roberta Stewart and others have asked VA to approve the pentacle, a circle
around a five-pointed star, as an emblem for Wiccans. That decision is still
pending.

Tom Hansen

Moscow, Idaho

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.

  _____