[Vision2020] Re: When Moscow Doubles - Transportation

Mark Seman FCS at Moscow.com
Wed May 24 11:01:11 PDT 2006

Kit & Nils, et al;
I know City Council met last night with sidewalks on their agenda and this
might be too late for them to consider, BUT... I suggest people interested
in transportation and vehicle/pedestrian issues Google WOONERF and read
about this concept.  I has some very pleasant connotations that can work as
well in Moscow as it does elsewhere.  (It has been used in the Netherlands
in the 1970's.)  Here are some direct sites:
http://www.ecocitycleveland.org/transportation/traffic/tools/woonerf.html
http://www.architectureweek.com/2004/0505/building_1-2.html
http://www.walkinginfo.org/de/curb1.cfm?codename=32d&CM_maingroup=Traffic%20
Calming

Mark

"No space can serve just a single function.  Conversely, in the United
States we've perfected the art of getting two acres to do the work of one."
Lyle Bicknell