[Vision2020] Pharmacies and Plan B

Jim Meyer m1e2y3e4 at moscow.com
Sat Mar 11 11:02:10 PST 2006

As a pharmacist,  I  need to weigh in on the issue of Plan B. I have
just a few comments:

1. Deciding which drugs to stock is a business decision. A pharmacy that
is out of one drug or another on  a regular basis will lose clients. If
the drug exists in the distribution chain, it can be ordered. Stocking
every single drug is impractical or impossible and would negatively
affect the bottom line.

2. A pharmacist that proselytizes in any manner, shape or form at work
or who embarrasses the client based on religious conviction is acting
unprofessionally and shouldn't be a pharmacist.

3. A medical professional should treat anyone in need. Treatment might
mean referral to another pharmacy, however. That said, a pharmacist who
substantially harms a person's ability to access medical care is acting
in an unprofessional manner and shouldn't be a pharmacist (and should be
reported to the Board of Pharmacy). If a pharmacy is the only pharmacy
in town and the pharmacist  refuses to provide care for client in
medical need, then I believe that this would/should be illegal.

4. I personally find it repugnant and unprofessional, the idea that
personal moral conviction might override the provision of accepted
medical services.

5. I am absolutely dead set against any laws designed to shield a
pharmacist from being fired based on his inability to perform his job
because of personal moral conviction. I do not want to promote what I
consider to be unprofessional behavior. Furthermore, a business has
every right to hire and fire those who follow or don't follow policy.

6. It is a free country (sort of). A pharmacist could start his own
pharmacy and call it Joe's Christian Pharmacy. People could go there if
they please. Personally, I would not. I prefer science to superstition
and therefore would question the intelligence of someone choosing
superstition over science when providing medical care.

Jim Meyer