[Vision2020] yet more of the same

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Wed Mar 8 12:28:13 PST 2006

On 8 Mar 2006, at 11:54, Saundra Lund wrote:

> Here's one of many Letters to the Editor Tony Simpson has submitted to
> the
> Lewiston Trib.  This one ran 11-24-2002:
>
> "Tyrannical advice
>
> Tsk, tsk, tsk.  Charise Shively of Albion is in a snit because I dared
> use the terms "darlin' " and, gasp! "baby" in one of my letters to this
> paper [letter, Nov. 17].  The outrage!  Why you'd think I had called
> her a
> Nazi, or suggested that she wanted to starve children or see senior
> citizens
> subsisting on Alpo.  All, mind you, charges that the intolerant left
> has
> repeatedly made against Republicans on this page over the years.
>
> You can dish it out but you can't take it -- is that it, Charise?
>
> Look, this is a rough-and-tumble forum provided and maintained for the
> community by folks with a genuine respect for the First Amendment.
> But hey,
> what the hell do they know?  Maybe we ought to follow your tyrannical
> advice
> and censor out all letters that offend the tender sensibilities of
> Charise
> Shively.  We could then change the name of this paper to Pravda and you
> would no longer be troubled by the views of those with whom you
> disagree.
>
> And I take exception to your charge that I view women as helpless sex
> objects.  That is not necessarily so.  Take you, for instance, Charise.
> Judging from your letter, you are obviously a well-educated and highly
> articulate sex object.
>
> Tony Simpson
> Lewiston

Looks to me like you got it in one, Saundra.  Juvenile, silly, plays
fast and loose with the commie taunts; wants to be provocative but can
only manage to channel Sean Hannity at age 13.  For Mr. Toe-Knee-Time,
I prescribe a course in the art of rhetoric.  Pick up a copy of Strunk
& White's 'The Elements of Style' at the used bookstore of your choice
and read it cover to cover; it's only half the size of the TV Guide, so
you should be able to manage it.  Then, sit yourself down and watch a
few Foghorn Leghorn cartoons.  The big white chicken will teach you all
you need to know about spotting a joke.  That's a J-O-K-E, son.  A
yuck, a funny, a ha-ha.  It's a laugh, boy!  Ya get it?

Thank heavens, once again, for Saundra Lund and her excellent research
skills!  Woman, you're a genius.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com