[Vision2020] Escalation of claims (was: Echoes from the Whinery)

Deacon James deaconblues42 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 23:31:35 PDT 2006

Joan,

These are tough questions. You really drew a firm line. So after weighing
all of these hard demands, I guess that my question to you is, how on earth
are the Mariners going win the AL West? They are four games below .500
(49-53), and yet they find themselves only 4 games out of the division lead.
Eventually one of the four AL West teams are going to make a run and take
the division; why can't it be Seattle?

It is clear that they need to make at least one more move, and that move
needs to include a starting pitcher. My personal opinion? Trade Richie
Sexson for a decent pitcher (read: not Joel Pineiro). It's a lot to give up,
but then his large salary can be off the books and applied in a more
reasonable manner in the offseason. Ben Broussard, the recent acquisition
from the Indians, can play first while Eduardo Perez and Greg Dobbs/Chris
Snelling/Raul Ibanez can fill the DH role. By doing this, the Mariners can
clearly make themselves better this year while not hurting their chances for
next year.

What do you think? Do you think the Mariners would be wise to part with
Sexson?

P.S. I've resigned myself to the fact that Mike Hargrove is not going to be
canned this season, a canning so richly deserved.