[Vision2020] to the people who attacked tom hansen yesterday

Kai Eiselein, LatahEagle Editor editor at lataheagle.com
Fri Jan 27 12:01:25 PST 2006

Robert,
First of all I don't believe that Tom was attacked for his stand on
Wal-Mart. He made an erroneous statement about South Hill residents being
wealthier than most. He was flat out wrong on that statement.
Let me address some of your points:
Minimum wages: The only thing that the minimun wage guarantees is that a
high school dropout can make subsitance living. Want to make more money?
Make yourself more valuable, get an education, get experience do whatever it
takes to make your skills/services more valuable than the next person's. In
my experience as a supervisor, I've met many people who worth more than they
were paid and I've met a lot that weren't worth minimum wage. The stand outs
moved on to better positions or better jobs. The others? They just whined
how life wasn't fair, called in sick, didn't complete their work on time or
to specification.
You want a guaranteed job for life? Move to the Soviet Union....oh wait a
minute, they don't exit anymore, that experiment failed.
Right to work: Have you read any of the news about Ford or G.M.? The unions
did a great job of "guaranteeing jobs" good bye to 30,000 of them. The
average wage on the Ford assembly line is $22 an hour, with benefits its
something like $65-$67 an hour. (From what I heard on NPR)
I'm sorry, but someone who's sole job is to put nut "A" on bolt "B" for 8
hours a day is not worth that kind of money. Period.
Unions have become every bit as "corporatized" as any corporation, with even
less "transparency" in thier financial dealings. They have also, in my own
opinion, become more corrupt. Can you say "mafia", or where's Jimmy Hoffa?
Not to mention, they've price their members right out of the market and
jobs.
Yes, I am fully aware of how the unions helped the "average Joe worker" way
back when. That is far in the past and has no relevance to what the unions
have morphed into.
One payer national health care: Sounds good in theory, but name one program,
besides the Postal Service, the federal government has run better than
private industry. I'll point at the welfare system, which was designed as a
temporary safety net, now it is a career joice for many. We've got 2nd and
3rd generations on the public dole. A fine mess we've gotten into.
Lokk at Canada's public health care, a good model right? So why are people
in rural areas of several provinces in an an uproar? Because clinics,
hospitals and government offices are closing in those areas, forcing many
people to drive long distances. (Again from an NPR report) Think  the little
town of Kendrick would have a clinc or a dentist in federal health care? I
don't. Not when they spend 20 bucks for an ice cube tray they could have
picked up at Wal-Mart for a buck.
The crux of it is, people need to take responsiblity for their own lives and
futures. The more we demand the government to take responsibility for our
personal affairs, the more power the government will have to interfere with
our choices.
But, hey, we gave it to them.