[Vision2020] what the Bible really teaches (was Douglas Wilson on women)

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 17 10:12:48 PST 2006

On 17 Jan 2006, at 07:08, Phil Nisbet wrote:

> Hey Joan
>
> You and keely are missing the best question.  If women are not able or
> are barred from action, what is Deborah doing being a Judge, a prophet
> and for that matter what the heck is she doing being a General of the
> Armies?  Why would G-d give her victory on Tabor of he was dead set
> against women in such roles?
>
> Then from the same section, how do you like Jael?  Nothing like a tent
> peg to the brain pan to end a military career.  Point being that she
> is praised for doing what she could to insure victory.
>
> Obviously there was no consideration that a woman's place was in the
> home if Ephrim could chose as its person to judge the tribal unit was
> a woman.  Also, the poem "The Song of Deborah", the oldest known
> Hebrew poetry and one of the oldest portions of Tanahk makes Deborah
> one of the oldest writers of scripture.
>
> If Deborah's management was criticalally wrong, why did G-d grant
> fourty years of peace following her winning of the battle?
>
> Phil Nisbet

You're quite right, Phil.  I'm a great fan of Deborah -- I rather wish
my mother had named me that.  Another favorite of mine is Judith, the
woman who saved her people by beheading Holofernes with his own sword.
There's a great Anglo-Saxon translation of Judith; it's in the Beowulf
manuscript.  Why are these two stories together in this particular
manuscript?  I think because they're both about great, self-sacrificing
heroes.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com

PS: About the hammer versus the crescent wrench in Doug Wilson's
parable, I feel the urge to respond with one of my grandfather's
favorite sayings: When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
  That's kind of a problem with hammers . . .