[Vision2020] Dutch Troops in Pakistan Say Mocked by Drunk Brits

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jan 6 15:04:17 PST 2006

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Dutch troops helping earthquake survivors in Pakistan
have complained that while they are subject to an alcohol ban, Spanish and
British soldiers laugh at their austerity and turn up drunk at their
campfire.

"We were told before we arrived that alcohol was banned in this country or
else very difficult to get hold of and we accepted this," one soldier told
the Dutch daily De Telegraaf.

"The Spanish drive around with cars full of Heineken ... and the English
laugh at us when they show up at our campfire drunk," another Dutch soldier
said.

A Dutch defence ministry spokesman said it was standard policy to ban
alcohol in Muslim countries in line with local custom and Dutch troops were
being well looked after.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

Moscow, Idaho

sideways, chocolate in one hand, a drink in the other, body thoroughly used
up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. What a ride!'"