[Vision2020] Oops! - Bush Unaware Mikes Were Still On

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Feb 13 18:08:32 PST 2006

>From the Associated Press at:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EAVESDROPPING_ON_BUSH?SITE=NYNYD&SECT
ION=STRANGE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-02-11-10-08-45

Oops! - Bush Unaware Mikes Were Still On

CAMBRIDGE, Md. (AP) -- The eavesdropping tables were turned on President
Bush on Friday. The president apparently believed he was speaking privately
when he talked about listening in without a warrant on domestic
communications with suspected al-Qaida terrorists overseas. But reporters
were the ones doing the listening in this time.

The incident happened at a House Republican retreat. After six minutes of
public remarks by the president, reporters were ushered out. "I support the
free press, let's just get them out of the room," Bush said, intending to
speak behind closed doors with fellow Republicans and take lawmakers'
questions.

When reporters left, Bush spoke about the National Security Agency program
that he authorized four years ago and which has drawn criticism from
Democrats and Republicans alike.

However, the microphones stayed on for a few minutes. That allowed
journalists back at the White House to eavesdrop on Bush's defense of the
eavesdropping. His private statements were basically no different from what
he's said in public.

"I want to share some thoughts with you before I answer your questions,"
Bush began. "First of all, I expect this conversation we're about to have to
stay in the room. I know that's impossible in Washington."

He was right.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Moscow, Idaho

"You may leave here for four days in space
But when you return, it's the same old place
The poundin' of the drums, the pride and disgrace
You can bury your dead, but don't leave a trace
Hate your next-door neighbor, but don't forget to say grace."

- Barry McGuire