[Vision2020] alternative routes

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Thu Aug 3 10:21:44 PDT 2006

Tom,

Thanks for the map. It is a great idea.

My contribution:

1) Sixth is impassable from Adams to Hayes (no pavement, deep holes)
2) Intersections at Washington & Sixth, Washington & Third are closed
to East/West bound traffic
3) Washington from 8th to 1st down to two lanes.
4) There is one scheduled at the East end of 3rd. I've forgotten the
precise streets, but it is in the Lena Whitmore area. The City
engineer and City Public Works Director should know.

There's also supposed to be a map at City hall.

As for your questions, I've answered with what I know, below.

Kit Craine

“1) Why wasn't the community given advance notice of such renovation?

Notice was given in the Daily News and through some of the City's
stuff. The merchants who might be impacted by the Washington street
work were also notified. Unfortunately, it is one of those situations
where one has to pay attention to the right sources to find out what
is going on.

Part of the problem (in my opinion) was that the Washington Street
project was scheduled to begin in early June, but funding problems
(i.e. the bids were more than the budget so more money had to be
found) delayed it. So, the notices were early and inaccurate.

Perhaps we on V2020 can put our heads together to figure out a better
PR technique.

2) When were the plans for such renovation/construction completed?

These projects have been in the works for years. As I said above,
funding difficulties delayed the beginning of the Washington Street
project. The 6th Street reconstruction appears to be on schedule. It
takes a while to redo the water, sewer, and roadbed foundations.

This is point to discuss whether citizens are willing to pay more in
taxes to ensure these types of projects are done as quickly as
possible, thus reducing the disruption to the community. For
instance, 6th might be moving more quickly if they had more workers
and machines.

3) Who is/was responsible for informing the community?

  That's a good question for the Mayor.

4) Were other options considered (staggering the projects over a few
years versus an all-at-once approach)?

I don't know the precise answer to this. It may be a collision of
needs, money, and schedules. These types of projects are planned
years ahead and are carried out when funding is available.

5) What are the time factors involved in each project?”

  I've forgotten the precise time lines, but both Washington and 6th
would take a couple of months.