[Vision2020] Illegals

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Apr 11 04:58:13 PDT 2006

Thanks, Andreas.

I chose last night to deal with Mekt7's simplistisc take on the issue with
sarcasm for one reason and one reason only -- I was angry enough to do so as
a slightly more responsible alternative to just ripping the author to shreds
with an all-out assault of impassioned, angry prose.

Now that I've calmed down, I want to echo much of what Andreas says and add
some other points:

First of all, no one coming here from, say, Mexico would ever claim refugee
status.  Generations of entrenched poverty, with the corruption, lack of
education, and cyclical hopelessness it entails, is not the same as drought,
civil war, genocide or other catastrophes that rightly warrant refugee
status.  That doesn't mean that people aren't suffering.  It means their
suffering is largely, politically, unrecognized.

Second, the United States doesn't even guarantee safe haven -- permanent
legal status -- for underage girls seeking protection from societies that
carve up their genitals to keep them safe and pure, even when the certainty
of mutilation upon return can be proven.  A wave of people who are "only"
desperate and poor can hardly presume greater protection.

Third, the enormity of paperwork, court appearances, evidence, unclear laws,
unscrupulous immigration attorneys, financial cost and the sheer amount of
time -- time that could be spent working to send money home to wives and
children -- makes applying for asylum not just hopeless, but prohibitive in
virtually every way.  That's not  a lack of trust.  That's reality.

I regret if my previous sarcasm was unseemly, but perhaps a little serrated
edge of my own wielded against those who would scamper for cover with the
Pharisees is warranted.  Because the outcome of such thinking is virulently
anti-Christian, and you know how I get when that happens . . .

And yes, I consider tenants of illegal boarding houses to be undocumented,
although "illegals" would seem to fit here as well.

keely