[Vision2020] Update from Rep. Trail

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Sun Sep 18 14:39:56 PDT 2005

Visionaires:    I plan on introducing legislation during the 2006 Idaho
Legislative session which would raise the Idaho Minimum Wage from $5.15/hr
to $6.15/hr.  The legislation would also tie future increases to CPI
adjustments on January 1st of each year.   The last time Idaho increased
the minimum wage was September 1, 1997.   Idaho normally increases the
minimum wage once this has been done at the federal level.  However, the
Feds have not increased the minimum wage in many years.  Seventeen states
have increased the minimum wage since the last Federal increase, and many
of these states have added the wage adjustment to the CPI.  Washington and
Oregon both have set their minimum wage above $7.00.   This obviously is
not a living wage but it
does at least raise the bar.

There are others in Idaho who are also talking about introducing similar
legislation or supporting a ballot initiative.  Ballot initiatives in other
states have usually been more successful than trying to get their
legislatures to raise the minimum wage.  I'm committed to work with any
group which will try and improve increase wages for our workers.  A recent
report indicates that about 13% of Idaho citizens are below the poverty level.

Rep. Tom
Trail