[Vision2020] President White's Letter Supporting Geocentricism is a Hoax

Nicholas Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Thu Oct 6 12:04:52 PDT 2005

Hail to the Vision!

I received the letter below this morning and I suspected a hoax
immediately. The President's Office has confirmed that indeed it is.

I think there is a good possibility that Wilson & Co. are behind
this.  This is not the first time that they have embarrassed the UI.
You may have heard that they once produced an announcement on the
Provost's letterhead about a topless feminist visiting scholar.  You
can read Wilson boasting about this caper at
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/evang.htm.

The time of its sending and the full name with Ph.D. are small pieces
of evidence in this act of perfidy.

Can anyone trace the server in order to see where it came from?

Nick Gier

Office of the President
Administration Building Room 105
P.O. Box 443151
Moscow, ID  83844-3151
(208) 885-6365

October 6, 2005

Letter to the University of Idaho Faculty, Staff and Students:

Because I’m on a roll here, I write to articulate the University of
Idaho's position with respect to the solar system:  The fact that the
sun revolves around the earth is the only curriculum that is
appropriate
to be taught in the scientific sciences.  As the President of this
University, it is within my administrative capacity to issue
statements
like this that restrict the academic freedom of the faculty and
students.

At the University of Idaho, teaching of views that differ from
geocentricity may occur in faculty-approved curricula in religion,
sociology, philosophy, culinary arts, adult education and other fields
that don’t bring in grant money.  However, teaching of heliocentric
views is inappropriate if there is a possibility that students might
become scientifically skeptical of the dominant paradigm.

The University respects the attempts of individuals to hold personal
religious and philosophical beliefs, so long as these beliefs are not
faith-based, since the University of Idaho only believes in science.

The University of Idaho's position is consistent with views
articulated
by respected astronomers for thousands of years. Recent initiatives to
dispute this scientific fact may not be discussed in any University
facility, not even WinCo.

Timothy P. White, Ph.D.
President, University of Idaho