[Vision2020] The CO-OP Sells Stuff From China/Wal-Mart Salary

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 23:00:55 PST 2005

Keely,

You wrote:

"I think the difference between foreign goods sold at the Co-Op and

foreign goods sold at Wal-Mart is probably the difference between fairly traded products and sweatshop production.  My guess is that the Co-Op extends its fair-trade, sustainable, high-quality ethic to handcrafted goods, not just coffee and other staples."

I highly doubt that the plastic and ceramic goods of exact shape and size at the CO-OP are made in China are made any differently than the plastic and ceramics made available at Wal-Mart made in China.

I have not been to a store in the United States that has not had foreign made goods, or at least goods made from materials imported unless it was like a hand-crafts store. It is my understanding that a good portion of our steel and plastics are made from imports. So even when we buy a loaf of bread, or a pair of US made pants, the materials used to make it, or part of it, go to support some third world nation. The only way to avoid not supporting a third world nation is to make everything yourself.

I believe that individuals have an obligation to vote for and support political candidates that work on supporting human right in other nations. I believe working on getting nations like China to require a portion of business profits to be dedicated to increased salaries and improved working conditions. I believe shutting down a factory that provides food, clothing and medical care to thousands of people who have no other means of support besides prostitution, begging, stealing, or working on a farm for more hours and less pay is a horrible thing to do to people. It is not their fault that the businesses owners want to keep a larger portion of the profits. Boycotting and having economic embargoes against countries has never worked, and ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS, hurts the poor and disadvantaged more than the rich and powerful.

Take Care, --DJA